One of the most enjoyable parts of the holiday season is the abundance of scrumptious treats; Thanksgiving pies and Christmas hams are some of the most delightful, savory foods in the entire world. Cooking with the family only makes the holidays that much sweeter.
However, as we age, so do our taste buds and sometimes our ability to safely cook. Some exquisite sweet foods don’t always taste the same in your golden years, which can make even the most delicious looking pie seem bland.
Here are some excellent holiday cooking techniques to bring to your family’s dinner table to ensure everyone, regardless of the sensitivity of their taste buds, can enjoy the meal and dessert.
Cooking for All Ages During the Holidays
- Amplify flavor – Salty, sweet and sour flavors aren’t as appealing to muted taste buds, in part because we produce less saliva as we age. To ensure everyone enjoys the taste of a meal, try adding acidic ingredients to dishes. Add some extra kick to a dish with fresh herbs and cook with wines to add a truly distinct flavor.
- Texture matters – The chewing process (mastication) can get more difficult as we age, making it difficult to break down tough or hard foods. Soups, stews and braises are universal holiday meals that can be consumed easily at any age. You can spice up the presentation of any soup or stew by serving them in delicious bread bowls, which are a hearty addition to any dinner. With so many different bread types to choose from, the soup delivery possibilities are endless!
- Avoid cooking dangers – Cooking with loved ones, both young and older, can be fun, but it has its dangers too. Chopping, cutting or grinding ingredients can lead to accidental injuries at all ages. When cooking with loved ones, handle the more dangerous tasks yourself with care or by utilizing kitchen gadgets that have safety features. If you find your loved one is feeling left out, assign them safer tasks such as kneading dough, seasoning meat or mixing ingredients by hand in a bowl, depending on what you’re making for dinner.
Celebrate the Holidays with Assistance from Silver Creek
The holidays are always festive at Silver Creek, and the meals served in our restaurant-style kitchen are prepared by skilled chefs who cater to the taste buds of our residents.
Our thoughtfully designed residences provide gracious amenities and features, including:
- One or two-bedroom apartments
- Large private bathrooms with tile floors and walk-in showers fitted with safety bars and handles
- Kitchenettes with beautiful granite countertops, mid-size refrigerators, and microwaves
- Emergency response systems available 24/7
- Smoke detectors and automatic fire suppression systems
- And more
At Silver Creek, we treat your family like our own. Celebrate all the joys of the holidays in comfort with your family at Silver Creek today! Contact us to schedule a walkthrough.
Enjoy These Holiday Cookies and Treats
Enjoy the holidays and the making of memories with your loved ones this season! Click on the images or the links below for some fun recipes to make with your family!<< News
You might also like...
Caregiver’s Task Checklist
Depending on the level of care you may be providing a loved one, you may have a lengthy list of daily tasks. It can be difficult to remember everything you […]
Continuing Education for Senior Citizens
Many people think college and higher education is exclusively for young adults, but that doesn’t have to be the case. There are a variety of opportunities out there for seniors […]