Assisted Living Considerations
It’s not always easy to know whether or not it’s time for a parent or loved one to move to an assisted living community. At Silver Creek, we understand that families do not take this decision lightly. There may be a lot of emotions involved that make it harder to determine when the timing is right. With so many variables to consider, you may be wondering what signs you should be looking for to help make your decision. Here are some indicators that it may be time to initiate the next step.
- Chronic health problems – Rather than trying to handle your loved one’s declining health on your own, it may be beneficial for them if you partner with a team of professionals who are dedicated to their well-being. In assisted living, caregivers can also help your loved one with bathing, dressing, medication management and other activities of daily living.
- Subtle changes – Keep an eye out for small clues that could indicate reduced independence. Hygiene is often one of the first things neglected by an older adult facing mobility issues, so you may notice increased body odor, stained clothes or dirty surroundings.
- Unsafe conditions – Make an honest assessment of your loved one’s mobility and balance as it relates to the safety and accessibility of their home. Navigating obstacles, like loose carpets, staircases or cluttered walkways could result in a life-threatening fall.
- Worrisome accidents – Consider whether your loved one would be confident in responding appropriately to emergencies like taking a fall, having a medical scare or getting in a fender bender. It may be time to move before a more serious incident occurs.
Every situation is different, but if your loved one is showing several of the above signs, it may be time to start a conversation about transitioning to an assisted living community. At Silver Creek, we recognize each individual’s unique needs and work with families to create a personalized care plan. Here are some of the advantages you’ll find at our community.
Advantages to Silver Creek’s Assisted Living
- Professional care – Assisted living at Silver Creek helps ensure your loved one has help with bathing, grooming, medication management and much more.
- Decreased isolation – Residents thrive at our community with an abundance of opportunities for social interaction, group activities and purposeful programming.
- Carefree living – Housekeeping, cooking and home maintenance are all taken care of so residents are free to do what they enjoy.
- Safety and security – Help is always close at hand at Silver Creek. Secure entrances and wireless call systems provide reassurance, while trained and caring staff are ready to assist 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- Peace of mind – With the dedicated attention of a team of assisted living professionals, you can feel more confident that your loved one is in a safe, secure and supportive environment.